IQL - Induction lighting
The QL lamp finds its origin in the beginning of the 18th century in England. In 1705 an English scientist named Francis Hauksbee demonstrated that a bulb made of glass could light up when the air is pumped out of it , the bulb is charged with static electricity and filled with mercury.
Later, in 1891 Nikola Tesla demonstrated wired and wireless transfer of power to electrode-less fluorescent and incandescent lamps. He subsequently patented a system of light and power distribution on those principles.
Philips was the first lighting supplier to introduce induction lighting commercially. They introduced their QL induction lighting systems in Europe in 1990 and in 1992 in the US.
Philips has demonstrated continuous innovations in QL Induction Lighting:
1991 Breakthrough in Induction Lighting:
first 85W electrode-less fluorescent lamp powered through induction by an HF generator.
1993 QL 55W induction system
1998 QL 165W induction system
2004 85W compact size induction system
2005 55W compact size induction system
2006 165W compact size induction system
2006 Easy to experience twist base induction system
2011 Dimmable QL induction system
2012 QL Clearsky
Through tests, continuous innovation and learning Philips was able to produce an induction lighting system that:
- Is able to instantly start and restart
- Is easy to install
- Has a reliable lifetime
- And has a broad range of color temperatures
On June the 6th, 2011 QL Company has acquired the Philips QL product line and its related assets.
The production of the QL system remains at the same facility with the same machines, processes and materials.
It is clear that QL induction lighting has seen a renaissance in recent years and we are prepared to continue to invest in the future of this exciting technology, especially since it is becoming more and more important because of its sustainability.
To this end, we are pleased to announce that the new dimmable range of induction lamps is now available.
Why IQL Induction Lighting
- Virtually maintenance free
- Design freedom
- Flicker-free start, ideal for areas with high switching frequency
- Low energy consumption
- Constant light, independent of mains voltage fluctuations
- High reliability - instant hot and cold (re) start
- Ultra Long Life - 100,000 hours RAL*
- 80 CRI and choice of color temperature
- Electronic HF Generator
- Crisp white light with no color shift
- Amalgam controlled vapor pressure
- High lumen output - 165W QL features 12,000 initial lumens
- Available in 55, 85 and 165 watts
- Automatic latch off within 5 seconds in case of failure (safety stop)
- General lighting, indoor en outdoor lighting especially for places with much traffic of passengers like arrival and departures in airports, railway stations and car parkings
- Ideal for city lighting like decorative street lighting, bridges and tunnels, and illumination of road way signs and advertisement boards
- Industry hazardous areas like petrochemical industry, cold-storage rooms and hard-to-reach applications. For instance off-shore. QL is often used in explosion-proof luminaires